by Charlotte L. Hanna CMO/CMBS GLOBAL
A recent Ally Bank campaign states, “Stop accepting nonsense!” The ad centers around a debit card user who must make a choice between accepting a bank’s fee for the use of their ATM machine, or not accepting the additional charge, thereby walking away empty handed, without the cash needed to proceed with his fun-filled plans for the evening.
Ultimately, feeling there is no other choice, the man chooses to accept the additional fee and move on with his plans. A lack of information regarding alternative solutions, his immediate need, the advice of peers and the pressure from his partner all apparently lead to his decision.
While we are not privy as to whether or not the evening was a success because of his decision, we are left with the uncomfortable feeling that he was suckered into doing something that he had reservations about doing.
Can you identify?
- Our friend in the Ally Bank commercial had a need.
- He needed an effective, timely solution.
- He thought he had found that solution, until he encountered an unexpected snag.
- Paying to access his own money was a bit of a ‘red flag’.
- Feeling pressured, he found himself having to reassess the situation, consider the alternatives, weigh his options, and take action.
- He had to trust his decision, and move on.
- The daily routine for most entrepreneurs.
Ask yourself the following:
- What nonsense are you accepting in your daily personal and business life?
- When you have a need, where do you turn?
- Do you have a source for effective and timely solutions?
- What ‘red flags’ are you facing at the moment?
- How do you handle pressure?
- Are you willing and able to assess your situation, consider the alternatives, weigh your options, and ultimately take action?
- Are you confident in your decision making?
The moral of the Ally Bank ad is simply this: If you feel stuck, you need an ally – a trusted friend.
As an entrepreneur, you will most likely encounter some hidden personal, emotional and financial costs along the road to the top. Entrepreneurship is a big job that requires a host of tools and strategies for meeting the numerous challenges of the hard work required.
If you feel stuck trying to market online with limited options, or if the pressures are beginning to take an unwelcomed toll on your time and energy, find that trusted resource for business assistance and develop an alliance to help ensure your unlimited success and money – with less cost to you.